- 1 cup barley flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, divided
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- 2 tbsp Sucanat
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup peeled and shredded carrots
- 1 tbsp orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine flours, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, 3/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
2. In a small bowl, whisk egg; stir in buttermilk, honey, oil, Sucanat and vanilla. Add liquid to dry mixture; stir just until combined. Fold in zucchini, carrots and orange zest.
3. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and fill three quarters of each liner with batter. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp cinnamon over batter. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in tin for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and cool completely on a wire rack. TIP: If following our 2-Week Meal Plan, store 2 muffins in a resealable plastic bag or container; freeze 4 muffins and defrost when called for.
Nutrients per serving (1 zucchini muffin): calories: 134, total fat: 4 g, sat. fat: 1 g, monounsaturated fat: 1 g, polyunsaturated fat: 2 g, carbs: 22 g, fiber: 2 g, sugars: 8 g, protein: 3.5 g, sodium: 158 mg, cholesterol: 17 mg