Serves: 4; Hands on time: 9 minutes; Total time: 15 minutes
- 8 oz pouched low-sodium tuna or canned low-sodium tuna water-packed tuna, drained
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp each chile powder and ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, lightly toasted
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella-cheddar cheese blend
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna, yogurt, celery, onions, lime juice, chile powder, cumin and cayenne. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Place bread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread tuna salad on each slice, dividing evenly. Top each with ¼ cup cheese. Bake in oven for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling and tuna is warm. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per melt: 237 calories, 7 g fat, 4 g sat fat, 201 mg Omega-3s, 490 mg Omega-6s, 14 g Carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 25 g protein, 390 mg sodium, 37 mg Cholesterol
Estelle L. Benoit, RD, LDN
Source: Cleaneating Magazine April/May 2012