Here is an idea for an easy meal that is budget friendly, healthy, and low maintenance! Sounds perfect right?! Each serving is only 426 calories, cost $2.05 per serving ($8.19 for entire recipe!), and only takes 20 minutes to make. Enjoy!
- 8 oz whole grain spaghetti or linguini
- 1 15-oz can Organic Garbanzo (aka Chickpeas) Beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 small clove garlic, cut into quarters
- ¼ cup unsalted sunflower seeds (raw or roasted)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb broccoli, stalks removed and discarded, florets quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
1. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions; drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, prepare hummus: Place beans, lemon juice, garlic, sunflower seeds, salt, and oil into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. If hummus seems too chunky, add 1 tbsp water and process again.
3. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli florets, reduce heat to medium and gently simmer for 3 minutes. Add pepper and continue to simmer fro another 2 minutes. Drain vegetables. Toss pasta with vegetables and hummus and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving (4 servings per recipe): 426 calories, 10 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 4 g monounsaturated fat, 4 g polyunsaturated fat, 72 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 17 g protein, 91 mg Sodium (WOW!), and 0 mg Cholesterol
BONUS: This recipe is meatless; however the grains and seeds provide all the essential amino acids to make it a complete protein! Also, it contains 162% Vitamin C and 136% Manganese of your daily value!
by Estelle L. Benoit, RD, LDN
Source: CleanEating Magazine