Hands-on Time: 50 minutes, Total time 2 hours
- 2 lemons, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 4-lb boneless whole turkey breast (2 halves), skin removed
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves, divided
- 1 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, divided, plus additional to taste
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus additional if need
- 1 cup fresh orange juice, divided
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder, dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water (try: Bobs Red Mill Arrowroot Starch/Flour)
- Kitchen String
- Slice 1 lemon very thinly with a mandoline (NOTE: Slice entire lemon, including peel, to about 1/16 of an inch).
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Arrange a roasting rack in a roasting pan and mist both with cooking spray.
- Arrange turkey skinned side down on a work surface. Using a long, thin knife, cut turkey almost entirely in half parallel to the work surface. (NOTE: the long side, which is parallel to where the breast bone would be, should still be attached.) Open turkey like a book and use meat pounder to pound to ½-inch thick. Arrange lemon slices on turkey, leaving a ½ inch border all around. Top with panko, cheese, 2 tbsp rosemary, and ½ tsp each salt and pepper. Starting at a long end, roll turkey up so the side that had the skin is on the outside, forming a log. Use kitchen string to tie at 1 ½ to 2-inch intervals. Sprinkle all over with remaining 1 tbsp rosemary and ½ tsp each salt and pepper.
- Arrange turkey, seam side down, on prepared rack. Add broth and ½ cup orange juice to roasting pan and roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Baste turkey with pan juices. Continue roasting uncovered and basting every 20 to 30 minutes, until an internal thermometer inserted into the center of roll reads 165 F, 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours total cooking time. (NOTE: if pan gets dry, add more broth or water to maintain about ¼ inch liquid.) Transfer turkey to a cutting board and let rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, zest remaining lemon and set zest aside. Place roasting pan on stovetop, straddled over 2 burners if necessary, and add remaining ½ cup orange juice. Bing to a boil on medium, scraping up any browned bits in pan. Whisk in arrowroot mixture and cook until sauce thickens, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in lemon zest and additional salt and pepper. Slice turkey crosswise. Serve sauce on the side.
Nutrients Per Serving: (5 ½ oz Stuffed turkey and 3 tbsp pan sauce):
246 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 8 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2.5 g sugar,
43 g protein, 434 mg sodium, 100 mg cholesterol
Estelle L. Benoit, RDN, LDN