Try these healthy burger sliders for your Super Bowl Party. Only takes about 20 minutes to prepare and has 11 g of protein per serving. Enjoy!
Serves: 12 Hands-on time: 20 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
Olive oil cooking spray
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg white
1/4 cup minced yellow onion
1/4 cup minced roasted red bell peppers (packed in water and drained)
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup natural jarred marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
24 cocktail-size whole-grain pitas or buns, split, toasted lightly if desired
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine turkey, garlic, egg white, onion, bell peppers, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Gently mix until combined.
3. Using a spoon or small scooper, from into patties about 1 scant tbsp each, making about 24 sliders; place on sheet. (MAKE AHEAD: Prepare patties up to one day in advance, wrap tray in plastic wrap an refrigerate.)
4. Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip patties over. Bake for 5 more minutes. Remove patties from oven; spoon marinara over each patty and sprinkle each with cheese, dividing evenly.
5. Switch oven to broiler setting on high, return to oven and broil for 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through and cheese is bubbling. Using a fork or tongs, transfer each patty into a pita or bun.
Nutrients per serving (2 meatball sliders): Calories: 213, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 29 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 554 mg, Cholesterol: 21 mg
Estelle L. Benoit, RDN, LDN
Cleaneating Magazine January 2014