Well swimsuit season is here! Try these tips to help u reduce that nagging belly bloat and help with digestion:
1. Drink plenty of water: at least 8-8oz glasses a day. Carry a water bottle around with u constantly or set goals, 2 cups before each meal, etc. Also for each caffeinated beverage you have u need to add a glass of water!!! Water also removes toxins from the body and helps remove waste from intestines.
2. Watch sodium intake: High sodium intake is directly related to fluid retention. It offsets the balance of sodium and potassium in the body, affecting your kidneys, making it unable to ride of excess water in your urine. An extra 400 mg sodium can led to 2 lb of water weight!
You need approximately 2000 mg sodium a day. Watching your intake daily can include eating mostly fresh foods, avoiding processed foods, and avoid adding salt to foods. One tsp of salt has 2300 mg sodium so if you are heavy on the salt you can triple your intake!!
3. And include theses 5 foods:
- Celery: Celery is rich in the minerals potassium and sodium which regulate fluid balance. It is great at getting rid of excess body fluid because it keeps u hydrated and increases urine production.
- Asparagus: Asparagus is great because it is a great diuretic and it also helps promote growth of bacteria in gut. It also is high in fiber which keeps your digestive system flowing.
- Papaya: Papaya is a long time cure for indigestion which causes belly bloating. Its great to have with meal or right after. You can also purchase papaya tablets for after meals.
- Parsley: Parlsey contains the compound apoil, which cleans out the kidneys, is great for kidney stones, increases urine production, and purifies the blood of toxins.
- Plan, Organic Yogurt: Organic yogurt is high in probiotics which drive away pathogens that cause bloating. Find the yogurts with the minimalist sugar.
Estelle L. Benoit, RD, LDN