Serves: 4, Hands-on time: 45 minutes, Total time: 45 minutes
- Pinch sea salt
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced 1/4-inch
- 1 cup halved and thinly sliced r ed onion
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 eggs, poached
- Season a large pot of water with salt and bring to a simmer. Add chicken, cover and simmer until an instant-read thermometer registers 165F when inserted in center of chicken, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside until cool enough to handle. With 2 forks, shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a large, wide nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium. Add potatoes and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until potato is just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Gently fold chicken into potato mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and chicken are browned, 5-10 minutes. Stir in paprika, cumin, salt and cilantro. To serve top with eggs. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (1 ¼ cups sweet potato hash mixture and 1 poached egg): 294 calories, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 4 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 14 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 35 g protein, 368 mg sodium, 285 mg cholesterol
Estelle L. Benoit, RDN, LDN