This recipe is loaded in protein and fiber, and super low in sodium. Enjoy!
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin and paprika
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2½ cups chicken, vegetable or
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Sea salt and ground black pepper,
- 1 lb peeled and deveined medium
to large shrimp (fresh or frozen
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large skillet or paella pan on medium-high, heat oil. Add chicken, onion, bell peppers, garlic, cumin and paprika and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa, broth, lemon zest and juice, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer on medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and quinoa becomes a little tender (but not soggy), about 7 to 8 minutes. Add a little more stock, if required, to maintain a moist consistency.
- Add shrimp and peas and cover until shrimp is cooked and quinoa is al dente, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 of recipe): calories: 460, total fat: 13 g, sat. fat: 2 g, monounsaturated fat: 6.5 g, polyunsaturated fat: 3 g, carbs: 43.3 g, fiber: 7.5 g, sugars: 5 g, protein: 45 g, sodium: 293 mg, cholesterol: 214 mg
Estelle L. Benoit, RDN, LDN
Cleaneating Mag October 2015